Wednesday, May 6, 2015

A511.7.3.RB - Self-Awareness

A511.7.3.RB - Self-Awareness


I am a military officer with 20 years of military service, as I reflect on my career as a leader I have to think about what it took to become a good leader.  What made me different from the individual with the same rank and time in service standing next to me?  Is the person next to me a better or worse leader, what could I learn from him in order for me to become better.  Is my core values the right ones or do I need to improve them? The military like any corporate organization is extremely competitive.  In the military everyone is a leader in some capacity where some choose to lead a large organization, some a small team, and others are comfortable leading just themselves.  As good leader, “keeping promises and commitments, and acknowledging responsibility for mistakes while also seeking to correct them (Yukl, 2013, pg332),” is the hallmark of leadership. With this said, I cannot acknowledge the positive without negative takeaways from military leadership. 

Good leaders follow, learn, lead by example, and inspire others.  Negative leaders most often create the harsh working environment, but in essence provide the best examples to of what not to do as a leader.  The competitive nature of the military coupled with working in multiple environments helped me to grow and learn from both good and bad leadership. The experience has helped to shape my leadership style and make me a better leader.  I have worked with servant, authentic, and ethical leaders, their positive leadership styles I found to the most helpful in my development. Servant leaders whose helped others to grow through empowerment and individual development made the strongest impact on personnel and the organization.   Those leaders who worked closely, understanding and supporting subordinates were the most successful because they were considered sincere individuals.  This would cause organizations to work harder because the leader displayed ethical behavior and was authentic in nature.

At the root of my leadership are my core values, I didn’t understand or know how to label them until I joined the Air Force in 1995.  My core values are integrity first, service before my own needs, and excellence in everything I do.  Three simple values have shaped me to be a servant leader where I am focused on others rather than myself.    Integrity is first because as a leader, subordinates, peers, and senior leaders must be able to trust my dedications and actions.  Second is service before my own needs, this means I am in service to my organization, family, and the community.  I will sacrifice my desires and needs to help others first.  Lastly is excellence in what I do I will give 100% effort in everything I do no matter how large, small, or tedious the task.  When needed, I will ask for help as it will overall benefit of  the organization.


I have learned over the years that “servant leadership are similar to those suggested by theories of supportive and empowering leadership and theories of spiritual and authentic leadership (Yukl, 2013, pg349).” Admitting my lack of knowledge or weakness in an area has benefitted me.  By recognizing shortfalls, in myself, my personnel or the organization, has proven critical to my success.  By seeking help from others who are knowledgeable on the subject or task has been one of the most successful leadership traits I have gained.  The learning point is I don’t have to have all the answers, being humble and asking for help makes the difference to the organization and personnel. Leaders who want to be successful will need support from subordinates, peers, and senior leaders.  When faced with a task that is beyond the organization’s capability, asking for help is the right thing to do and keeps with the core values of integrity first, service before self needs, and excellence in what I do.   



Ref:
Yukl, G. (2013). Leadership in organizations (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment